How To Make A Chocolate Roulade With Yvonne From Hey Pesto!
Written 4 weeks ago by Angel Croitor
Yvonne Carty from Hey Pesto! dropped into Midlands Today with Will Faulkner to let us know how to make the perfect Christmas Chocolate Roulade!
So here’s the scoop:
What you need:
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 6 oz/175g dark chocolate
- 6 oz/175g caster sugar
- 3 fl oz/ 75 ml brandy
- ½ pt /300ml cream, whipped
What you do:
- Melt the chocolate with the brandy, either slowly in the microwave or in a bowl over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until you get to the ‘ribbon stage’ – you really need an electric whisk for this unless you have really strong arms!
- Fold in the melted chocolate into the egg mix. Then in a clean bowl whisk the egg whites until stiff (the egg whites not your arms!).
- Using a metal spoon fold the egg white in stages into the chocolate mix. Then pour into a lined large Swiss roll tin.
- Bake at 180 C/Gas 4 for 12-15 minutes, until firm to touch.
- This is the important bit – cover with a damp towel and leave to cool completely.
- Dust the top of roulade with icing sugar and invert onto parchment paper.
- Spread the cream evenly over the surface (feel free to add fresh berries as well).
- Using the parchment paper to help roll it up like a Swiss roll.
- Decorate the roulade with icing sugar and strawberries or grated chocolate.
- Serve and watch it disappear!