Byrne Carolan Cunningham Solicitors - Accident at Work

Public Question

I was injured in an accident at my workplace about two weeks ago. Thankfully I was not seriously injured but my work colleague told me afterwards that I should have reported the incident to management. Is this true?  I would be interested in your opinion as to what a person should do if they were involved in a workplace accident. 

If you have suffered an injury at work, there are certain steps you should follow:

  1. Report the injury to your employer: Inform your employer as soon as possible of the injury and how it happened. Your employer should record the injury in the accident book and give you a copy of the entry.
  2. Seek medical attention: If necessary, seek medical attention for your injury. Your employer should pay for any medical treatment you need as a result of the injury.

If your injury prevents you from working for more than 3 days, you should report the injury to the Injuries Board. Your solicitor will assist you with this process if you wish. Your solicitor will also advise you is you are entitled to claim compensation for your injuries and any out-of-pocket expense to include loss of earnings if you are out of work for a period as result of your injury.

It is important to note that if you have suffered an injury at work, you should act quickly to protect your rights. The deadline for making a claim for compensation is 2 years from the date of the injury.

Please feel free to contact Byrne Carolan Cunningham Solicitors Litigation Department if you would like further advice. Our specialist Personal Injury Solicitors will be happy to advise you.


Download Our App