€122M In Unclaimed Prizes Used To Fund National Lottery Advertisements

The Public Accounts Committee has been investigating the National Lottery's finances for the last six years.

The National Lottery has diverted €122 million in unclaimed prizes into its own advertising between 2016 and 2021.

A probe by the Public Accounts Committee has found the lotto has used 98% of unclaimed money for marketing, while the remaining 2% is used to top-up prizes.

The National Lottery claims 90% of unclaimed prize money goes back to the community, but the PAC investigation has found that figure is actually only 27%.

Chairperson of PAC and Laois Offaly Sinn Féin TD Brian Stanley, says the terms of that license must be re-negotiated when it's up for renewal:


More from Midlands News

Download Our App