Athletics Ireland announced their confirmed line-up yesterday.
There'll be a lively representation from the midlands at the European Cross Country Championships, which are being held on Irish soil this year.
They take place on a course finishing in the Sport Ireland campus in Final, Co. Dublin on December 12th.
Athletics Ireland yesterday announced a 36-strong team for the event, including three local athletes.
One of six senior men chosen, is Cormac Dalton of Mullingar Harriers AC.
The 23-year-old previously competed in the U23 category in Lisbon two years ago, finishing in 49th place in a time of 26:05.
Dalton has achieved six, top-10 finishes so far in 2021 across 1,500m, 3,000m, 5,000m and 10,000m, highlighting a great versatility in his running style.
Two Tullamore Harriers have also been selected in the form of Danielle Donegan in the women's U23 category and USA based Laura Mooney in the U20 format.
Donegan currently races in the singlet of the UCD AC as she continues her studies at third level.
Much like Cormac Dalton, the Tullamore woman previously competed at the European Cross Country event in Portugal in 2019, finishing 81st in the U20 race in a time of 16:24.
It's been a solid 2021 for her so far, with a season best of 17:05:02 over 5,000m and 36:19:21 over 10,000m.
Laura Mooney's journey to Providence College in Rhode Island has been well documented and she's performed superbly since moving stateside.
The Cappincur woman is now the Irish U20 record holder over 5,000m and is holding her form throughout 2021.
The 19-year-old picked up a 6th place finish at the U20 European Championships over 5,000m earlier this year and has a further seven top-10 finishes including victory in the Irish National Championships over 5,000m at U20 level.
Mooney is sure to be one of team Ireland's leading lights and medal hopefuls despite her development into a stronger athlete over longer distances.
Athletics Ireland, National Endurance Co-ordinator, Matt Locket said:
"We must acknowledge the outstanding work from athletes to put themselves in contention for selection at these home championships. The depth in the Nationals Cross Country championships was fabulous to see, and is a testament to the work of coaches around the country. We have a great history when it comes to European cross country competition and we are in no doubt those who have been selected are primed to take on the best in Europe in just a few weeks’ time.”
There could yet be further local involvement when reserves are confirmed later in the week.
Here's the selection in full:
- Men's Senior - Hiko Tonosa Haso - DSD AC - Feidhlim Kelly
- Men's Senior - Paul O'Donnell - DSD AC - Donal Hennigan
- Men's Senior - Emmet Jennings - DSD AC - Donal Hennigan
- Men's Senior - Ryan Forsyth - Newcastle & District AC - Richard Rodgers
- Men's Senior - Brian Fay - Raheny Shamrock AC - Andy Powell
- Men's Senior - Cormac Dalton - Mullingar Harriers AC - Steve Gulley
- Women's Senior - Michelle Finn - Leevale AC - Feidhlim Kelly
- Women's Senior - Roisin Flanagan - Finn Valley AC - Damon Martin
- Women's Senior - Aoibhe Richardson - Kilkenny City Harriers - Jon Green
- Women's Senior - Aoife Cooke - Eagle AC - Alan Storey
- Women's Senior - Fionnuala McCormack - Kilcoole AC - Alan McCormack
- Women's Senior - Eilish Flanagan - Finn Valley AC - Damon Martin
- Men's U23 - Darragh McElhinney - UCD AC - Emmet Dunleavy
- Men's U23 - Keelan Kilrehill - Moy Valley AC - Emmet Dunleavy
- Men's U23 - Thomas McStay - Galway City Harriers - Matt Lockett
- Men's U23 - Micheal Power - West Waterford AC - Steve Gulley
- Men's U23 - Donal Devane - Ennis Track Club - Joe Chawke
- Men's U23 - Thomas Devaney - Castlebar AC
- Women's U23 - Sarah Healy - UCD AC - Eoghan Marnell
- Women's U23 - Aoife O'Cuill - St Coca's AC - Joe Ryan
- Women's U23 - Danielle Donegan - UCD AC - Damian Lawlor
- Women's U23 - Lauren Tinkler - Dublin City Harriers - Enda Fitzpatrick
- Women's U23 - Ruth Heery - Waterford AC - Des Colbert
- Women's U23 - Jodie McCann - Dublin City Harriers - Clark McCann
- Men's U20 - Nick Griggs - Mid Ulster AC - Mark Kirk
- Men's U20 - Dean Casey - Ennis Track Club - Pat Hogan
- Men's U20 - Scott Fagan - Metro St Brigid's - Brian Tremble
- Men's U20 - Sean Kay - Clonliffe Harriers - Stephen Bateson
- Men's U20 - Cian McPhillips - UCD AC - Joe Ryan
- Men's U20 - Abdel Laadjel - Donore Harriers AC - Ray Treacy
- Women's U20 - Jane Buckley - Leevale AC - Chris Harrington
- Women's U20 - Emma McEvoy - DSD AC - Donal Hennigan
- Women's U20 - Rebecca Rossiter - Loughview AC - Andrew Hann
- Women's U20 - Laura Mooney - Tullamore Harriers - Ray Treacy
- Women's U20 - Aoife McGreevy - UCD AC - Mark Kirk
- Women's U20 - Róise Roberts - North Belfast Harriers - Jim McGuinness
- Mixed Relay - Andrew Coscoran - Star of the Sea AC - Feidhlim Kelly
- Mixed Relay - Luke McCann - UCD AC - Clark McCann
- Mixed Relay - Ciara Mageean - City of Lisburn AC - Steve Vernon
- Mixed Relay - Siofra Cleirigh Buttner - Dundrum South Dublin - Mark Coogan