Alleged Arson At Sushi Restaurant Examined In Court Proceedings

Guo Zhong Chen.

The attack cost €3 million worth of damage.

A court has heard a dispute with a former business partner led to an arson attack which caused €3 million worth of damage to a busy midlands shopping street.

57 year old Guo Zhong Chen from Belvedere Terrace, Mullingar, in Westmeath is before Longford Circuit Court for sentencing after pleading guilty to arson in October last year

The fire started in a laneway adjacent to Oyama Sushi in Grafton Court in Longford in the early hours of July 28th 2024 and spread across 19 other businesses causing substantial damage.

The proprietor of the sushi restaurant and her husband both gave statements to Gardaí explaining she had lived with Mr Chen and entered into a business agreement for a sushi and tea restaurant on Main Street Mullingar.

Things were going well until she indicated she wanted to get involved with her brother’s business in Longford.

She told Gardaí that Mr Chen threatened her and told her that if she took the job in Longford, "it would not last long".

CCTV footage was shown in the court showing Mr Chen travelling from Austin Friar Street in Mullingar into Longford town.

He was seen collecting rubbish and dumping it in the courtyard beside Oyama Sushi where the blaze breaks out and Mr Chen is seen running away.

He was arrested on August 8, 2024, and initially denied any involvement in the fire. 

The proprietors of the Sushi restaurant say they feel fear every time they hear a fire alarm or a siren, and that they are worried Mr Chen will come for revenge if he is released from prison.

Defence for the accused said he was involved in child labour from an early age and had no formal education.

The sentence hearing will resume in July, with Mr Chen remanded in custody until that date.

 

More from Midlands News

Download Our App