Parks And Wildlife Searching For Answers After Midlands Eagle Is Poisoned

Stock Image

It's believed it died after ingesting poison used as a ‘pest control’. 

The National Parks and Wildlife Service is appealing for information relating to the death of White-tailed Eagle, which had been living in the midlands. 

The bird, which had been brought in as a chick in 2021 from Norway, was discoverd on lands between Lough Sheelin in Westmeath and Lough Ramar in Cavan last November.

It's believed it died after ingesting poison used as a ‘pest control’. 

It was part of a national re-introduction programme.
 
Phillip Buckley of NPWS is also urging people to be aware that the use of poisonous substances for the control of species such as foxes and crows is illegal and has been since 2010:

Anyone with information on the matter is asked to contact NPWS at 01-5393156. These matters will be treated confidentially. Alternatively, information can be supplied to An Garda Síochana.

More from Midlands News