Patients with sprains and minor burns can expect to be seen quickly.
A new Minor Injuries Unit is opening in the midlands today.
The facility will open at the Charter Medical Private Hospital in Mullingar from today.
Patients with sprains and minor burns can expect to be seen within two hours or less.
Patients who visit the Minor Injuries Unit will only be charged €75, instead of the €100 fee if attending an emergency department.
Hospital manager Kay Slevin says the service will help ease the pressure on the emergency department:
The opening times for the unit are as follows:
- Monday to Friday from 8:00am to 6:00pm
- Saturday and Sunday 10:00am to 6:00pm.
- Closed on Bank Holidays
Patients experiencing these should attend the Minor Injuries Unit:
• Suspected broken bones to arm (from collar bone to fingertip)
• Suspected broken bones in legs (from knees to toes)
• Sprains and strains
• Wounds, bites (animal or insect) cuts, grazes and scalp laceration
• Minor burns and scalds
• Foreign bodies
• Minor chest injuries