Daniel Marius Cociu will re-appear at Mullingar District Court on April 9th.
A father of two is admitting to allowing his wife fly home to Romania with more than €2,000 worth of cosmetics stolen from a Midlands pharmacy.
29 year old Daniel Marius Cociu of Wotton, Ashbourne, in Meath carried out the theft in Boots at the Harbour Shopping Centre in Mullingar in Westmeath on October 9th last year.
Mr Cociu was in Ireland barely six months when he acted in concert with his wife who put a string of high valued make up and skincare products into her tote bag while he "kept watch".
The Irish Independent is reporting the pair’s getaway vehicle was later traced to a car rental company, resulting in Cociu’s arrest at Dublin Airport when he subsequently arrived back into the country from Romania.
He fully admits to his role in the heist and has identified himself and his wife on CCTV for investigating officers.
Mullingar Circuit Court heard the pair turned to theft due to the dire financial straits his family were facing at the time.
His defence asked the court for time to repay the "very significant" haul which had been stolen.
Upon being told of Cociu’s lack of any previous convictions, Judge Bernadette Owens remarked: "As they say, he did it in style when he did it the first time."
Judge Owens said the court would accept the request but warned the length of time being afforded to him wouldn't be put on the "never, never."
Mr Cociu was remanded on bail to appear back at a sitting of Mullingar District Court on April 9.
Laois Council Launches Streetscape Enhancement Scheme
Public Meeting On Water Quality Set March In Laois
Laois Councillor Criticises Lack Of Public Lighting In Ballacolla
Over 500 Children’s Scoliosis Surgeries Cancelled Since 2022
Offaly Town's Centre First Plan To Be Launched At Public Meeting Tonight
Two Offaly Reps Appointed To Gaisce Youth Ambassdor Panel
Yellow Rain Alert Issued For Midlands And 14 Counties From Tonight
Midlands Volunteers Honoured By Federation Of Irish Sport
Offaly Cathaoirleach Backs OPW Over Flood Prone Sites Policy
€41m Announced For Midlands Roads
Laois Mother Criticises Proposed SNA Cuts
"A Slap In The Face" - Offaly Councillor On HSE Hospice Foundation Debt
Teagasc Centre To Be Named After Laois IFA President
Housing Minister Shrugs Off Westmeath Notice To Quit Warnings
6,000 Trees Distributed Creating New Habitats Across Offaly
Quarry Search for Jo Jo Dullar And Deirdre Jacob Resumes
Laois Locals Gather For EP Meeting
Emergency Services Attend Laois Crash
Supreme Court Decision On Laois Windfarm Provides "Good Clarity" - Environment Minister
Midlands Musician Survey Launching