The facility is also temporarily suspending ward visitation.
The Regional Hospital Mullingar is reporting very high numbers requiring emergency care today.
Management is asking people to consider their options before attending the Emergency Department.
Those who do present but are not seriously ill, can expect very long wait times to be treated.
This follows the announcement that the facility is suspending visitation temporarily after an increase in covid-19 infections in the facility in the last week.
Ireland East Hospital Group say it's taking the precautionary but necessary measures to protect patients and staff.
Certain exceptions include:
- No changes to the current Maternity Services and Maternity Ward visiting arragements
- Parents visiting children in hospital
- People visiting patients at end-of-life
- Specific nominated carer/family member assisting with care of confused patients (e.g. dementia)
- Immediate family member visiting patients in ICU/CCU
Management is appealing to the public to co-operate with what they say are these necessary restrictions.