It's being described as "significant" in the ongoing development of the town.
Consultants have been appointed for the design of a new distributor road in Birr.
Cathaoirleach of Offaly County Council, Councillor Frank Moran has signed the contract paperwork appointing Tobin Consulting Engineers as the design consultant for the project.
The objective of the proposed road scheme is to complete a road link between the Tullamore Road (N52) at Woodlands and the Birr to Banagher Road at Cappaneale (R439).
According to the local authority, the development of this new road is described as "significant" in the ongoing development of Birr and will:
• relieve congestion in Birr Town by providing an alternative to the existing routes through the town,
• provide better access to the national road network for major local industry,
• open up zoned development lands,
• provide improved access to St Brendan’s Secondary School and
• allow the tourism potential offered by Birr Castle and the town’s historic and unique Georgian town centre to be realised.
Front L-R: Ronan Murtagh, John O’Flaherty (Tobin Consulting Engineers); Cathaoirleach of Offaly County Council, Cllr. Frank Moran; Cllr. John Carroll; and Tom Shanahan (Director of Services, Offaly County Council).
Back L-R: John Mitchell (Offaly County Council) and Barry Lennon (Offaly County Council).